MAYVILLE, N.Y.: - Chautauqua County Executive PJ Wendel declared a State of Emergency at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, March, 15 2020 due to the novel Coronavirus-19 (COVID-19). In an effort to reduce face-to face contact, the Chautauqua County Department of Health and Human Services is encouraging all Social Services clients to not come in for scheduled appointments or nonemergency services. Negative actions will not be taken on the case as a result of missing an appointment.
The Department of Health and Human Services is committed to continue to serve the public, while balancing the health and safety of the community.
Services through the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) are being provided as follows:
- Temporary Assistance, SNAP, – All Public Assistance eligibility, recertification, and emergency interviews can be done by phone. Domestic Violence and Drug/Alcohol Screenings will be done by phone. These interviews can be conducted without face-to-face contact through April 11, 2020 and recertification interviews can be conducted by phone through May 15, 2020. All applications and required documents can be mailed, e-mailed, faxed, scanned, or dropped off. SNAP benefits can be applied for on-line at mybenefits.gov.
- Temporary Housing Assistance (Homeless) and Non-PA Emergency Assistance applications and documentation can be mailed, e-mailed, faxed, scanned, or dropped off.
- Employment Activities – All work activities for Temporary Assistance and SNAP applicants and recipients will be suspended until May 15, 2020. Employment assessments and employment plans for applicants and recipients may be completed via telephone contact.
- HEAP – All requirements for face-to face interviews for any HEAP component is temporarily suspended. Applications and any supporting documents can be mailed, e-mailed, faxed, scanned, or dropped off.
- MA Spenddown/Over-grant Claims and any other DSS payments – In person payments, may be sealed in an envelope with your name and reason for payment and placed in the designated “drop box” at the locations referenced below. Make the payment as close as possible to the correct amount. Any amounts overpaid will be credited to the following month.
- Fair Hearings – Please contact the office of Administrative Hearing at 1-800-342-3334 for rescheduling.
- Child Support – Can be emailed directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, Faxed (716) 753-4602, or Call (716) 753-4555.
- Child Support Court appearances are administratively adjourned until April 30, 2020. Adjourn dates will be sent out by mail to respondents.
- Children Protective Services – Please call the Statewide Central Register 1-800-342-3720.
- Adult Protective Services/CASA – For non-emergencies please call (716) 753-4447; mail can be sent to 7 N. Erie Street Mayville, NY 14757
Applications, both certification (initial) and recertification for assistance should be mailed to Chautauqua County Department of Social Services 110 E. 4th Street, Jamestown, NY 14701 or 319 Central Avenue, Dunkirk, New York 14048 or dropped off in either location – drop boxes are available.
It is essential that all clients please include a working phone number so we can contact you for an interview by telephone. Emergency needs will still be addressed on site at our Dunkirk and Jamestown locations.