Loading...

This Week in Chautauqua County History: April 6 - 12

Submitted by Justin Gould on
image

(Seal of Chautauqua County displayed at the New York World's Fair 1939-1940.)

Research by Norman Carlson, Chautauqua County Historian

Chautauqua County has a rich and fascinating history, filled with moments of innovation, resilience, and community spirit. From major fires and schoolhouse traditions to groundbreaking legislation and cultural milestones, each date tells a unique story of the county’s past. The following is a collection of notable historical events that occurred in Chautauqua County and the surrounding region on these dates throughout history.

April 6

  • 1860 – First mention of a fire extinguisher in a Jamestown newspaper.

  • 1866 – Levant Wesleyan Methodist Church organized.

  • 1971 – Busti Shamrocks 4-H Mill restoration account opened with $500 from Readers' Digest. Mill restoration completed in 2013.

  • 2005 – New (second) pool at Jamestown Boys' and Girls' Club opened.

April 7

  • 1847 – Resolution to build a schoolhouse on Stoneledge Road and paint it checkerboard. Subsequently famed as a quaint curiosity.

  • 1868 – 1 a.m., fire destroyed seven buildings in Sinclairville.

  • 1910 – Jamestown High School senior class left for Washington, D.C. on first official senior class trip.

  • 1913 – Voting machines used in every election district in Jamestown for the first time.

  • 1931 – North Harmony's famed checkerboard school burned. It was later rebuilt. (see March 7)

  • 1957 – Start of a two-day snowstorm totaling 21 inches in Jamestown.

  • 2002 – David Kaczynski, brother of the notorious Unabomber, visited Dunkirk.

April 8

  • 1837 – Frewsburgh (so spelled) post office established.

  • 1879 – Silver Creek Union School organized.

  • 1897 – Oil well drilling started in Poland.

  • 1917 – Eaton L. Moses, genius-vagrant widely known in Chautauqua County, died. Funeral attended by many prominent people.

  • 1920 – Roger Tory Peterson's "bird epiphany" in Jamestown—start of his lifelong intense interest in birds. He was 12.

  • 1946 – County Board of Supervisors commissioned Adon Trimm to paint a portrait of Joseph McGinnis (1861-1945), NYS Assemblyman from Ripley.

  • 1964 – J. R. H. Co. incorporated, forerunner of developer of Cockaigne Ski Lodge in Cherry Creek. Slopes opened in 1966; closed in 2023.

  • 1971 – 600,000 pounds of titanium burned in Frewsburg.

  • 1984 – First Baptist Church, Jamestown dedicated.

  • 1986 – Jamestown Boys' and Girls' Clubs merged.

  • 1986 – Removal of rail overpass bridge on Rte. 394 in Mayville began.

  • 1991 – Chautauqua County Rails to Trails incorporated.

April 9

  • 1908 – Roosevelt Elm planted at Jamestown High School in honor of Theodore Roosevelt, who visited and spoke there two years later.

  • 1909 – Browning Society (poetry and literature) organized in Jamestown.

  • 1969 – Groundbreaking for new City Hall, Jamestown.

April 10

  • 1821 – First issue of the Fredonia Censor, the first Chautauqua County newspaper.

  • 1897 – Jamestown Kodak Club organized.

  • 1956 – Heavy snowfall.

  • 1964 – Escalator installed in Jamestown at Bigelow's—one of only two in town.

  • 1994 – Jamestown Naval Reserve Center closed; Schutt's Saw and Mower is now located there.

April 11

  • 1815 – Peak violence of the Tomboro volcanic eruption in Indonesia, probable cause for the "Year Without a Summer" (1816), which affected Chautauqua County and much of the world.

  • 1893 – Work began on Jamestown's sewer system.

  • 1900 – Canning companies formed in Kennedy and Frewsburg.

  • 1951 – Charles Lawson donated land for the Southwestern Central School building.

  • 1961 – New Mayville library opened.

  • 1965 – First service held in the new Lakewood United Methodist Church house.

  • 1974 – Cummins Engine announced intent to move into the Art Metal plant in Busti.

  • 1993 – Heart transplant for Jamestown's Tina Sardo.

  • 2002 – First Pearl City Lyceum, discussing Jamestown's economic future.

  • 2005 – Visitor Center in Ellery on Route I-86 opened.

April 12

  • 1834 – Four families left Prickwillow, England to settle in Jamestown. (Arrived June 20.)

  • 1900 – Around this date, Ralph Breed left Busti for his third year playing first tuba with the Ringling Brothers Circus.

  • 1922 – Zoning first enacted in Jamestown.

     

News Categories