County Clerk

Welcome to the Chautauqua County Clerk's web page. The County Clerk is responsible for the recording of all land documents, serves as the clerk for the Supreme and County courts, oversees the Department of Weights and Measures and County Historian and heads the three Department of Motor Vehicle Bureau offices in our County. As your County Clerk, I strive to make our services easily accessible and available and to make your experience at any of our offices a pleasant one.


  • Copies of documents may be requested by mail. All requests must include the document Liber and page or Instrument number, the appropriate fee, and a self - addressed stamped envelope. Requests that do not have a self- addressed stamped envelope will not be processed. Contact the County Clerk's office for the information needed to complete your request at 716-753-4331.
  • Real Property Records - We are the recording office for deeds, mortgages, discharge of mortgages, and many other documents pertaining to real estate.
  • Online Documents - The Chautauqua County Clerk's office is now offering online access to documents. Subscriptions and one-time user options are available. Please log on to SearchIQS for complete information regarding fees and a list of records available online.
  • Supreme and County Court filing clerk- All documents in civil Supreme Court actions, matrimonial, guardianship cases, name changes and criminal proceedings in County court are filed with the County Clerk's office.
  • Business Certificates – Click on "Business Certificate Forms" link on the left for complete information on filing a DBA (Doing Business As) certificates.
  • Passports - The county clerk is an acting agent for the U.S. Department of State Passport Agency. Appointments are requested by calling 753-4523.
  • Please visit: New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services for complete Passport information.
  • Military Discharges - All servicemen and women may file their military discharges with the County Clerk's Office at no charge. See our Veteran's Return the favor link to the left for information on the discount card available to honorably discharged military veterans. Appointments necessary by calling 753-4977.
  • Census Records - We have census records from 1825 to 1925 available through our Historian's office.
  • Marriage Records - We have marriage records from 1908 to 1935 through our Historian's office. All other marriage records are kept at the town or city where the marriage license was purchased.
  • Birth and Death Records - Birth and death records are kept at the Town or City clerk's office where the event occurred.
  • Notary Public - Notaries Public are commissioned in their counties of residence. After receiving and approving an applicant for a notary public commission, the Secretary of State forwards the commission, the original oath of office and the signature of the notary public to the appropriate county clerk. The county clerk maintains a record of the commission and signature. Go to New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services for complete Notary information.
  • Designated Newspapers for LLC Publication:
    • Daily:
      Observer : 366-3000
      Post Journal: 487-1111

      Westfield Republican: 326-3163
  • eRecording - The Chautauqua County clerk's office offers eRecording of land records on a consensual basis. The process allows secure and efficient recording of real estate documents.
    Currently, eRecorded documents are accepted from the following vendors:

    Corporation Service Company
    (866) 652-0111
    Corporation Service Company Website

    eRecording Partners Network
    (888) 325-3365
    eRecording Partners Network Website

    (800) 460-5657
    Simplifile Website
  • eFiling - The Chautauqua County clerk’s office offers eFiling of court filings on a mandatory basis.

    The process allows secure and efficient filing of court cases.
    Currently, eFiling documents are accepted from the following vendors:


    NYS Courts Electronic Filing
    (646) 386-3033

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are your recording fees for real estate documents? We have listed our recording fees in the County Clerk section of the website titled Fee Schedule.
What are your hours The County Clerk's Office hours are: 8:30 a.m - 4:30 p.m
How do I add or remove a name from my deed? To add or delete names from a deed you will need to complete and record a new deed. Forms are available from your attorney or from a legal stationery store. You will also need to complete New York State forms RP-5217 (Real Property Report) available HERE.
and a TP-584 (Transfer Tax Report), available at: http://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/real_prop_tran_cur_forms.htm.
When do I need a business certificate? By New York State Law, you must have a business certificate filed in the county in which you conduct business if you are operating under a name other than your own. Fees are listed in the Fee Schedule. Sales tax identification numbers are available from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. Application forms are available from this office by contacting the Small Business Development Center at 716-338-1024 or by contacting the New York State Department of Tax and Finance at 800-calltax.
What records are available from the County Clerk, in researching my genealogy ,"my family tree"? The County Clerk's Office has state Census records (1825 to 1925), naturalization records (1814 to 1972), marriage records (1908 to 1935), property deeds and mortgages (1811 to present), and tax assessment records (1854 to 1934). Birth, marriage, and death records, also known as vital records, are available from the Town or City Clerk's Office where the event occurred. In New York State, vital records were first kept starting in 1881. 
I need a Tax ID number, can you issue that for me? No, we are unable to issue a Tax I.D. number to you. You can only obtain a Sales Tax I.D. number from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. You can obtain an application form from our office to apply for a Sales Tax I.D. number.
I need a Federal ID number, where do I go? The federal government issues Federal ID numbers. To obtain an application you can contact the Small Business Development Center at 716-338-1024.
Where do I go to pay my property taxes? Real Property Tax information is available from the County Finance Department, Real Property Division at 716-753-4221. Their office is located on the first floor of the Gerace Office Building, 3 North Erie Street, Mayville, New York 14757.
Do you process passports? Yes. Applications for new and renewal of passports are available at the County Clerk's Office in Mayville. Fees are listed in the Fee Schedule. Forms are available at Travel.state.gov. Appointments are appreciated by calling 753-4523.
How can I get a copy of a birth, marriage, or death certificate? Birth and death certificates (also known as vital records) are available from the town, city, or village clerk where the birth or death took place. Marriage records are available from the town, city, or village clerk where application for the marriage license was taken. Also, marriage records for the entire county are available in the County Clerk's Office for the time period of 1908 to April of 1935.
I need a copy of my judgement of divorce, can I get that from the County Clerks Office? Yes, the fee is $4 for up to four pages, plus $1 for each additional page. Most judgments of divorce are less than four pages. 
Where can I purchase a marriage license? You can purchase a marriage license from any town or city clerk in New York State.
Can I buy a hunting and fishing license from the County Clerks Office? No. You can get hunting and fishing licenses from town clerks or sporting goods stores.
Where do I get a copy of a deed and what do I need? All deeds recorded in the County Clerk's Office are public information. Copies can be obtained by providing the name of owner and address of the property. Copy fees are in the Fee Schedule.