Department of Motor Vehicles

Persons may utilize the drop boxes for registration renewals
and some other transactions
Registration renewals can be mailed to one of the
DMV offices in Chautauqua County.

Renew Registrations by phone, call 716-753-4229

All needed forms are available on the NYS DMV website at www.dmv.ny.gov
Questions about documents and forms are answered on the NYS website
All required paperwork should be completed before arriving at the DMV

Insurance cards should be printed before arrival at the DMV.
Insurance cards can be faxed to a DMV office by your insurance company.


Office Appointments are available by using the following links

*Please note: Appointments are for individuals only not for dealer work processing*




Road Test Appointments cannot be made here

 To schedule a road test online go to:



To schedule, change or cancel a road test by phone call:


DMV Holiday Hours (PDF)

Renew Registrations by phone, call 716-753-4229

Jamestown Dunkirk Mayville
512 W. 3rd St.
Jamestown, NY 14701

Ph: 716-661-8220
Fx: 716-661-8292
3998 Vineyard Drive
Dunkirk, NY 14048

Ph: 716-366-0210
Fx: 716-366-7934

Hall Clothier Building
7 N. Erie St.
Mayville, Ny 14757

Ph: 716-753-4229
Fx: 716-753-4521

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m




Service Fee
Escort Certification Test $40.00
Original Title $50.00
Duplicate Title $20.00
Mobile / Manufactured Home Title $125.00
Abstract of Driving Record $10.00
Intransit Permit $12.50
Motorcycle Permit $23.50
Restricted Use License $87.50
Conditional License Only $75.00
Drinking Driving Program $225.00
Salvage Vehicle Inspections $205.00
Civil Penalty (Insurance Lapse) up to 30 days (cost per day) $8.00
Civil Penalty up to 31-60 days (cost per day) + $240 $10.00
Civil Penalty up to 61-90 days (cost per day) + $540 $12.00
CDL Permit $22.50
Permit- 16 yr old ONLY $80.00


Frequently Asked Questions
The mail-in registration renewal says that I must mail my renewal to Albany. May I mail or bring it to my local DMV Office? You can bring your registration renewal to your local DMV Office and either drop it off or wait for it to be processed immediately, or you may mail it to your local office. You may also renew by telephone by calling 716-753-4229. A credit card payment is required. All renewals left with a DMV representative will be processed within a day and new registrations mailed back. We encourage you to renew your registrations locally in order to keep your tax dollars in Chautauqua county. We will also process your renewal faster and more efficiently.
Will you accept a fax or copy of an insurance card? Yes, the local DMV office will accept a facsimile or copy of your insurance card. Cards may be faxed to: Jamestown DMV - 661-8292; Mayville DMV - 753-4521; Dunkirk DMV - 366-7934
What is needed to surrender license plates? We need only the plates and a $1 processing fee for surrendering license plates.
What does a 16- or 17-year-old teenager need to apply for a learner’s permit? A parent needs to accompany the 16 or 17 year old to the office. We will need the parent’s driver’s license, an original State-Issued birth certificate for the applicant, and the applicant’s social security card. You must be in the office at least an hour before closing time to allow time for the paperwork, written exam, vision test, and photo.
I was told that my driver’s license is suspended? How can I find out? We do not give information out on the telephone about a driver’s license record. You may come to the DMV in person, with identification, and we will try to help you. In some instances, you may want to get a printout of your driving record for a $10 fee.
I have lost or misplaced my title for my car. How can I replace it? The owner must complete an application for a duplicate title and submit the required ID (for example, a valid driver’s license). The fee is $20 for a duplicate title and the owner should expect to receive the new title within five working days from Albany.
I’ve recently moved. How do I notify DMV of my new address? You can stop in at your local DMV Office and fill out a change of address card, or you can mail us the new address along with your license identification number. However, you will not receive a new license with the new address unless you purchase a duplicate license. The DMV should be notified within 10 days of any address change.
I need to replace my driver’s license. What ID do I need and what is the fee? It is no longer necessary to bring any ID to the office in order to get a duplicate driver’s license. The fee for a duplicate is $17.50.
Can I bring my US DOT Medical Examiners Certificate to the DMV office to have it entered in my file? Yes.The fee is $17.50.
What do I need to get the Veterans designation on my driver's license? Military veterans will need to bring their original DD214 discharge papers indicating an honorable discharge. There is no fee to add the designation.
I lost a license plate. What do I do? Bring the remaining license plate to a DMV office. There is a $28.75 fee to issue a new set of plates.


News Feed


During the pandemic, if your driver’s license expired between March 1, 2020 and August 31, 2021, the Department of Motor Ve