The Chautauqua County Transfer Stations accept recyclable items and materials, as described below. All items could be placed into designated containers and areas, as labeled and as directed by the station attendants.
"No-Fee" Recyclable Items and Materials
The following materials may be recycled without paying a fee:
Glass Jars & Bottles
Food and beverage containers only. Rinse clean and separate clear from colored (green, amber, or cobalt) and remove labels and metal rings.
All plastic containers marked with recyclable emblems and numbers 1 (PET), 2 (HDPE), 3 (PVC), 4 (LDPE), or 5 (PP). Rinse clean and remove hard caps, rings, and labels.
Corrugated Cardboard & Brown Paper Bags (OCC)
Remove staples and plastics, flatten, and keep dry.
- Acceptable: Corrugated cardboard boxes, brown paper bags, and fiber egg cartons or chipboard boxes (cereal, paper tubes, pasta, and beverage case boxes)
- Do Not Include: Waxed, plastic coated or food-contaminated materials (such as pizza boxes)
Mixed Paper & Old Newspapers (ONP)
- Newspaper: Keep dry and loose (Inserts acceptable). Do not tie in bundles or place in bags.
- Junk Mail and Assorted Paper:
- Magazines and catalogs (glue or staple bound), color inserts, and coupons from newspapers, envelopes (with or without windows), and sweepstakes forms
- School paper: math paper, composition paper, construction paper (paint, crayon or marker OK), textbooks with hard covers removed, soft cover workbooks
- Non-metallic wrapping paper and greeting cards
- Office paper: fax paper, copy paper, ledger paper, real estate books, scrap paper, computer paper, NCR paper. No blueprints or carbon paper
- Telephone Books: WHITE pages only
Automobile parts, metal window and door frames, brass, steel and cast iron fixtures, machinery parts, stoves, washing machines, hot water tanks, copper tubing, aluminum lawn furniture, eaves troughs, other metal items. Empty gas tanks / containers are accepted at the Landfill Transfer Station only
- Aluminum Foil or Pans: "Rinse clean" and flatten. Foil, pie plates and aluminum TV dinner trays are also accepted.
- Tin / Steel Cans: "Rinse clean" and remove labels
All Electronics are accepted at no charge, except for Televisions and Computer Monitors that a charge applies.See Transfer Stations & Fees, for details
* No electronics are accepted at the Landfill (Ellery) Transfer Station.
For more options and information, check the New York State's links, below.
Tires are accepted with a fee. See Transfer Stations & Fees, for details.
Air Conditioners, Dehumidifiers, Refrigerators & Freezers (CFC Units)
Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, any other item containing Freon: There is charge for each item for safe Freon removal. There will be no charge if Freon is removed by a certified Freon removal technician and so certified on company letterhead including make and serial number of unit.