The Environmental Health Unit provides this mandatory service to private homeowners for a fee. When a property in Chautauqua County, served by a private well and an onsite wastewater treatment system (OWTS), is sold, the Environmental Health Unit must evaluate the well and OWTS.
There are certain exceptions to this requirement as follows:
- Transfers in foreclosures action.
- Transfers in connection with a partition action under Article 9 of the Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law.
- Transfers by operation of law, such as intestate or testamentary succession.
- Transfers of owner-occupied single family residences between members of an immediate family. This exemption does not apply in cases of a real property transfer inspection is requested by a lending agency.
The water supply and sewage/wastewater system components will be evaluated to ensure that they are functioning in compliance with the Sanitary Code of the Chautauqua County Health District at the time of the inspection. A water sample will be collected and analyzed for indicator bacteria.
If the evaluation reveals that the water quality or water supply components do not meet the requirements of NYSDOH and the Sanitary Code of the Chautauqua County Health District standards and/or the OWTS components are not functioning properly corrective measures must be taken. The corrective measures may include: well disinfection, installing continuous water disinfection, and/or repairing or replacing an OWTS. The corrective measures are clearly communicated to the owner's attorney via written correspondence.
Loan Survey Packet
The loan survey packet is designed to guide homeowners through the process of requesting a water and sewage survey.
Checks may be made payable to "Chautauqua County Director of Finance."
- Inspection of water supply (includes 2 samples) & sewage/wastewater systems - $300
- Sewage/wastewater system inspection only - $150
- Water supply inspection only (includes 2 samples) - $150