South & Center Chautauqua Lake Sewer District
The South and Center Chautauqua Lake Sewer districts were formed in 1970. Studies indicated substantial health and environmental problems were occurring as a result of on-site disposal of sewage. Most development within the districts was halted by the Chautauqua County Health Department pending construction of adequate public sanitary facilities.
Wastewater Treatment Plant
The Wastewater Treatment Plant was placed in service during 1980. The villages of Lakewood and Celoron, which had sanitary sewers since 1940, were connected to the new plant. The old sewage plants that served the villages were retired. New service area connections were completed in 1985.
The Wastewater Treatment Plant typically removes 98% of the organic and solids load received, bettering the 85% required by our federal discharge permit. This equates to two tons per day of pollutants that are extracted during physical and biological treatment. In comparison, the decommissioned plants that had served Lakewood and Celoron, including West Ellicott, each removed only 50% of pollutants received.
Chautauqua County Enterprise Department
The combined South and Center Sewer Districts comprise a Chautauqua County Enterprise Department. Our annual budget is approximately $2,600,000. All revenue comes from user charges, not from general tax revenues. More than 5,000 customers are served and there is sufficient reserve capacity at the treatment works for future regional growth.